Today we got officially ready for summer. Did door dots (click here). We've done these for a few summers now, and it makes it so fun. My kids kind of expect them now. We also do tickets. They get a ticket everytime they do something above and beyond their regular jobs. Things I would like them to do, but I don't actually require of them, they get tickets. Then, when they earn enough, they can turn in their tickets for prizes, activities, money, or treats. Whatever they want. I got most of these ideas from the above website. Makes my summer go better, and the kids do better too. And of course, new job charts. Last night, after going through all of this during family council with the kids, I was soooo overwhelmed. I think all these things will make the summer go better, but it's always a bit tricky getting started out. I think I get better at not making it more work for myself, and a bit better organized every year. The first time I tried some of these ideas, it just made a ton more work for me. Not a fun summer. So hopefully I did better this year.
I also got myself a bike and a bike trailer at the end of last week. Craigslist is awesome. So the kids and I have been on at least one bike ride together everyday since we got it. I'm loving it. Exercise + fun with the kids = happiness for me and further ensuring that the exercise will really happen this summer. Yay. The bike trailer is for Russell and sometimes Krysta. She can't go as fast as the rest of us, so sometimes she rides in the trailer and sometimes we slow down and she bikes too. It's nice that it fits two kids. I didn't think it would be as hard to pull though. The first bike ride we went on, Tyler and Emalyn left me in the dust. I am soooo out of shape! But then we went on a bike ride just the 3 of us, so no trailer, and I kept up just fine. So I'm still out of shape, just not as bad as I'd first thought. Which is a relief. And it means that it's a great workout to pull all 70 lbs in the trailer behind me.
Here's hoping for a great summer!
3 comments:
How fun! I love the door dots idea! You'll have to teach me all of your wisdom when I get to that stage with my kiddos. :) And I'm glad you got a bike! Family bike rides are the best!
We do that too..We call it "Mom Bucks" and they turn it in for lots of fun stuff. It also keeps the vegging in front of the computer or TV very very low. Fun!
You remind me of the days when all of you still lived at home. Summers were a great opportunity for a change of pace. I love those days when all of you were out of school. I love you!
Post a Comment