About two weeks ago, during breakfast, I happened to look outside at our garden, and this is what I saw:
 |
It was our first hard frost, and we'd left the timer for the garden sprinkler turned ON.
Kinda pretty. |
 |
| Unfortunately, this meant the END of eating and preserving the bounty of our garden this year. |
 |
It was really sad to me.
But I had known it was coming, so we didn't actually lose anything. Except for those watermelons, ears of corn, and bell peppers that had not ripened yet. Other than those, we really got a ton from our garden this year: green beans, peas, carrots, bell peppers, onions, garlic, corn, pumpkins, broccoli, beets, lettuce, zucchini, yellow summer squash, and tomatoes. It was awesome.
I went on a canning frenzy this fall. I canned peaches, pears, spaghetti sauce, green beans, and navy beans. Forgive the bragging, but I'm super proud of myself. I've never done this much canning before. I always do some, but this was a lot for me. Growing up, I never helped my mom with the canning (that I can remember anyway) (sorry Mom!) and I never thought I would enjoy it, but I do! |
 |
| 13 jars of spaghetti sauce! |
5 comments:
You SHOULD be proud of yourself!!! Awesome!
I was thinking that you did help me with canning, probaby when we lived in UT the last time - peaches, applesauce, maybe plums? Anyway, I think I didn't help my mom much and was delighted to find out that I liked canning after I was married - just like you. Maybe that's our family tradition. :0) I'm happy you're getting your gang more involved in the process.
I think that is AWESOME! and can you share your spaghetti sauce recipe? please :-)
That's awesome! I'm jealous. Someday hopefully I can get back into canning.
I'd like the spaghetti sauce recipe too please. :)
Mom-Thanks! I like that tradition!
Belky and Markell- I put the recipe (or actually a link to it) on our cooking blog, Taste Buds Unite!. There's a link to that blog in the upper right hand corner of this blog. Enjoy!
SO great!! I am amazed at how much you got from your garden!! That is fantastic! I want to be more like you when I grow up! :) You are amazing!
Post a Comment